What Data Is Collected
When you visit the online offer, certain information about your device is automatically collected, including information about your web browser, IP address, time zone, and some of the cookies that are installed on your device. Additionally, as you browse the online offer, information is collected about the individual web pages or products that you view, what websites or search terms referred you to the online offer, and information about how you interact with the online offer.
Data is typically collected using the following technologies:
- “Cookies” are data files that are placed on your device or computer and often include an anonymous unique identifier. For more information about cookies, and how to disable them, read more in the cookies section further below.
- “Log files” track actions occurring in the online offer, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps. For more information about log files, read more in the log files section further below.
Further data may be collected when you use specific services part of the online offer:
When you submit a comment to a piece of content part of the online offer, your data provided in the comment form as well as your IP address and browser user agent will be processed for spam detection. The data will furthermore be internally saved to identify you as the comment author. Your name, the comment text, the date and time of when the comment was posted, and your Gravatar profile picture if available (read more in the profile pictures section) will be publicly displayed on the respective website, possibly following a comment moderation process where your submitted comment is reviewed before it is published.
When you contact the owner of the online offer directly (e.g. via email, phone, social platforms, or a contact form part of the online offer), your data is processed for handling the contact enquiry, and may possibly be stored in an address book service or CRM system. By contacting the owner of the online offer, you confirm that you grant them permissions to respond to your enquiry, preferably through the same means of contact that you use initially. Your data is stored as long as it is necessary to maintain an ongoing conversation, with requests being reviewed every two years for whether they do still meet these requirements. Further archiving obligations also apply.
Engaging in a Business Relationship or Contract
When the owner of this online offer and you start a collaboration or sign a contract, you will be asked to submit your data required for contacting you, invoicing you and following other legal obligations. That data is stored in a CRM system for as long as the contract lasts minimum, with reviews happening every two years for whether the data still meets the requirements to be stored. Further archiving obligations also apply.
Making A Donation
When you use one of the donation forms part of the online offer to make a donation, the data you provided in the form will be submitted and stored to process the transaction. A third-party payment service provider (read more in the payment service providers section) is used to fulfill the transaction itself, and none of your address or bank data is stored by the online offer internally. The online offer only stores the data submitted with the form that is part of the website, as well as an arbitrary identifier for the transaction as processed by the payment service provider. This data is stored for maintenance, legal, and tracking purposes and is stored as long as required by legal archiving obligations, with reviews happening every two years for whether the data still meets these requirements.
Uploading Media Files
Forms part of the online offer may allow you to upload media files. All uploaded files are usually publicly accessible, however it is impossible to browse the uploaded files, so a direct link to where the file is uploaded would be necessary to access it. Note that if you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
Why Data Is Collected
The data collected is used in various ways. Certain data may be collected to ensure the online offer can operate correctly, other data may be collected to improve the visitor experience or for other convenience reasons. The following list provides you with more insights on how the data is used:
- Provide, operate, and maintain the services that are part of the online offer
- Improve the visitor experience and personalizes the online offer
- Communicate with visitors of the online offer
- Analyze how visitors use the online offer
- Develop new services and features for the online offer as a result of tracking data
- Detect and prevent spam and fraud
Cookies are small pieces of text sent by your web browser by a website you visit. A cookie file is stored in your web browser and allows the online offer or a third-party to recognize you and make your next visit easier and the online offer more useful to you.
Cookies can be “persistent” or “session” cookies. Persistent cookies remain on your personal computer or mobile device when you go offline, while session cookies are deleted as soon as you close your web browser.
- Google Chrome: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050
- Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835
- Mozilla Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/delete-cookies-remove-info-websites-stored
- Apple Safari: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21411?locale=en_US
- For any other web browser, please visit your web browser’s official web pages.
- If you leave a comment, you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
- If you have an account with the online offer and you log in, a temporary cookie will be set to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
- When you log in, several cookies will be set up to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me” upon logging in, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
- Further cookies may be set by third-party services used by the online offer, for example for visitor tracking or embedding content. You can read more about third-party integrations in the sections below.
As typical with most hosting environments, the hosting provider automatically collects certain device information and stores it in log files on the server. This data may include information such as IP addresses, browser user agent, internet service provider (ISP), or date and time stamp. For details on which data is collected by log files and how it is processed, learn more in the hosting section further below.
Analytics and Tracking
Articles in this online offer may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Payment Service Providers
Social Media Profiles
Online profiles are maintained in social networks and other third-party platforms to communicate with possible customers, interested parties and other users, partly to inform them about the online offer. When accessing these networks and platforms, the terms and conditions of their respective operators apply.
If you are a European resident, you have the right to access personal information held about you and to ask that your personal information be corrected, updated, or deleted. If you would like to exercise this right, please contact the owner of the online offer through the contact information below.
Additionally, if you are a European resident, be aware that your information is processed in order to fulfill contracts the owner of this online offer might have with you, or otherwise to pursue their legitimate business interests outlined before. Additionally, please note that your information will be transferred outside of Europe, including to Canada and the United States.
For more information about the online offer’s privacy practices, if you have questions, or if you would like to make a complaint, please contact the owner of the online offer by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Changed: February 28, 2023