In my post from last month, I am sharing my experience from rebuilding my WordPress website using a block theme, including a performance comparison. As part of that post, I included a spreadsheet with a detailed performance breakdown from before and after the changes. I only provided a bit of context for how I conducted the performance comparison in that post, however as promised, in this post I am sharing the concrete methodology that I used and how you can use it to measure performance of websites yourself.
In order to better explain the methodology, I thought I might just do another similar kind of analysis that I would go over in this post. Last week, WordPress 6.2 was released, so no better opportunity than to measure how updating my website from WordPress 6.1 to 6.2 affects its performance!
I created a spreadsheet with the full data for this new analysis, and in this post we’ll go over the process for how I got that data in detail.